The NEMA power cord may be a common choice for your power needs, but do you know what makes it special? With the growth of the power cord industry in 2022—and the revelation that power must be as efficient as it is adaptable, coupled with the fact that 55% of small businesses report that slow processing times are among their biggest challenges—it is no wonder that more attention is being paid to this type of standard cord.
NEMA power cords come with the option of different plug types, and it’s important to understand them when making your choice. Different plug types serve different purposes, so you’ll want to choose the type that’s right for you. Let's look into some of the NEMA plug types and their functions:
- NEMA 1 – This is a two-prong plug, widely used in North America as well as parts of South America. Primarily designed for small appliances that do not require grounding, it is typically used on lamps, clocks, radios, and battery chargers.
- NEMA 2 – This plug type is offered on NEMA power cords that facilitate two-wire non-grounding devices. It is rated for a maximum of 250 volts.
- NEMA 3 – This plug is designed for two-wire non-grounding devices that carry 277 volts. Designed for future configurations, as no such devices yet exist for it to power.
- NEMA 4 – This plug will serve 600-volt, two-wire devices. It is non-grounded, and also meant for configurations that will be available in the future.
- NEMA 5 – This plug serves three-wire grounding devices and is rated for a maximum of 125 volts. It is often meant for equipment that is associated with stage lighting and other high-intensity gear.
- NEMA 6 – This type of plug pairs with three-wire grounding devices. It is used for 208–240 voltage circuits, though it is rated for a maximum of 250 volts.
- NEMA 7 – This plug works with devices that are two-pole ground connecting devices, rated at a maximum of 277 volts.
There are many more NEMA plugs available—up to NEMA L23! Do your research to ensure that you buy the proper plug for your needs.
The team at StayOnline would be happy to help you make the best choice. For more information, reach us by phone at 888/346-4688 or by email at email@example.com – we’re here to help!